Saturday, September 19, 2026

Fisher-Price Little People 938 - Sesame Street Playset

Reaching into the archives, and not far because I love this playset, comes the 1970 Fisher Price #938 Sesame Street Playset.  This came with many, many great accessories and characters.  I have the original box (see the next post) and a spectacular version of the playset.  



But, the interior walls were just plain.

The right-hand wall lithograph needed to be recreated.




I wanted the front walls to have design to them, so I went to work.  Screen captures of Bob's apartment, Ernie and Bert's apartment, Gordon and Susan's apartment, and Hooper's Store helped me recreate the scenes.

The windows needed to be "window-y" so I took flat pieces of plastic and glued them over the window frames.

I printed the images I created in my computer, mounted to thin cardboard, and pushed them into place.  It required a photo like the above, and measuring the walls, to create these new walls to slide into position.

New right-hand wall litho is added.

Background images created from the show, including the 
open window, and Mr. Hooper's portrait in the top right corner.

I used the portrait of Ernie and Bert from the show,
including their lamp and curtains.

The wall and curtains came from the TV show.

Here are some items in process, including Big Bird's nest.  Oscar's area is from the TV show.

The brick wall* of Big Bird's nest is from the show. The little brick wall is by me from a wall of my house, the ground completely designed in my computer.  
*The tall wall is made from composites from the show, but through the window, you see into Gordon and Susan's kitchen as it is on the toy.  

The doors were borrowed with permission from the artist whose father worked on Sesame Street.  The artist is Jordan Orlando.  More images will follow the next two 'in process' images.



I recreated the Big Bird wall on the left with bits
from the TV show.

Oscar's can area was recreated from the TV show.








Two props were added to this, Ernie's painting of Bert with a beard and the children's television Workshop sign.




No comments:

Post a Comment