Thursday, February 11, 2021

Winter Storm - Feb. 10-11, 2021

On February 10, 1994, I was at Northwest Mississippi Community College in Senatobia, MS, when sleet began to fall about 10pm.  It came fast, and stacked up faster!  Eventually, the power went out, and the college staff had all the students grab one bag full of personal items and a blanket, then slip and slide to the Student Union building where we all gathered for the day and night ahead.

While there, I had to go to the bathroom, to return and find my blanket had been stolen.  I eventually found it under one of the school's football players as he was singing some song to his friends, and I joined in ending it with, "...and gimme back my blanket!"  They hollered laughing, he did, and I went back to my 'spot' in the union building floor.

The following day, they allowed us to make our ways home if we wanted to.  I wanted to.  I got the ice off my 1973 Ford LTD and hit the road home where, for days, we had no power; but, I had my bed!

Fast forward to the same day, 2021, we have ice falling around.  Starting with a thick, misty fog!


You can see how thick the fog was that you can't see the big buildings down the road.

I needed eggs because I only had two left and I love breakfast.  So, I made the mistake of going to the store: a 40 minute visit for eggs.  Ugh.

Overnight, you could hear the rain falling, you could feel the temperature dropping, and then I went to bed.  About 2:30am, the power went out.  And guess what?  In true Memphis fashion, the weather is never consistent, so we have, of course, a thunderstorm in the night!  Power = OUT!  Still, I could hear the thunder from my bed!


Then, I woke to ICE EVER'WHERE!!  








2/11/2021 afternoon into evening:











No comments:

Post a Comment