Monday, November 10, 2014

My Southern Hospitality

I was talking to my friend, Renee, about her visit to Memphis and I started thinking about how I love to make visitors, especially those from across the miles, feel welcome and at home.  It is important to me, especially to close friends, that they feel like they belong.  But, from where does this stem?

Well, first of all, I'm a Southerner.  That means I speak with a drawl most of the time, I'm creative, I like dirt and the earth, and eat my weight in fried food.

Off topic:  When I visited the Schulz Museum, I offered to cook a Southern meal for Jeannie and she asked, "What's the difference between any other meal and a Southern meal?"  I said, "Southern food is fried and delicious."

Back on topic:
One of the things Southerners are (supposed to be) famous for is our hospitality. 

I remember growing up at Papa Roy's house and someone he knew would pull up outside.  He'd go the door, or on the front porch, and holler out to them, "Get out and come in!"  Get out of your car and come in the house.  You are welcome here.  I saw the offer for something to drink or something to eat. I think that's one of the ways hospitality was engrained in me.

I also remembered shows where people were welcoming.  Sesame Street episodes always started with a greeting to me (the viewer) and welcoming me to Sesame Street where the greeter was happy to see me there that day.  Even older shows:  George Burns and Gracie Allen always welcomed their friends to their home, as did the Addamses and the Munsters...not that visitors stayed long at the other two houses.

And then there were songs that were welcoming and inviting.  One such song, I think, is responsible for my need to be sure people eat.  Visitors will likely be offered food when they come to my house, and hearing this song you will understand why.  By Cab Calloway, Everybody Eats When They Come to My House.



So, as I head off to bed, these are the thoughts in my head as to my hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment